Sunday, June 22, 2008

Christopher Boian: Seeing Peter Mackler

Peter taught me not just where to look but how to see. In the 20 years since he hired me at AFP, we have been together in all manner of places and circumstances in the world.

At work, he pushed me, hard, to be a better journalist and showed me how to be a better manager. Away from work, he taught me through his own example to be a better father, husband, man.

To say that Peter was one of a kind does not begin to describe his uniqueness. To say that he has been, and will always be, a big presence in my life doesn’t even come close to characterizing the influence he has had on me.

We spoke a few times in the last couple of weeks. The last time, he described to me the evening stroll he was taking with Catherine around a lake near their new country home in the south of France. He sounded relaxed and content.

Peter was of course my boss and my mentor for most of my adult life. But more than that, he was an honorable, brave man whom I respected deeply and was privileged to call a good friend.

He taught me to see, and in the process he let me see him. I will miss you, Peter, and I will forget nothing.

-- Christopher Boian

Moscow Bureau