Saturday, June 28, 2008

Corinne Suissa: My daughter's honorary godfather

It is with great sadness that I have learned of Peter's passing. I have been very fortunate to have known him during the 15+ years I have spent at AFP Washington. Peter has been praised as a great journalist, dedicated to his work and to AFP, but to me he is simply my daughter's "honorary godfather", as he liked to call himself.

Contrary to what my doctor thought, Leah decided to make her entrance earlier than planned. I was in the office and when I realized what was happening, I decided to say goodbye to everyone while waiting for a colleague to take a cab with me to the hospital. When I told Peter I was not just starting my maternity leave but actually going to the hospital to have my baby, he insisted to take me himself. Before I could say anything, he grabbed his briefcase and rushed downstairs to get his car. Once at the hospital, Peter wouldn't leave me and waited patiently until my husband arrived. He might have been my boss, but to him, it was the most natural thing to do.Peter left the Washington office for a while, and when he returned, his first question was "how's my honorary goddaughter?"

And for me, that was Peter, one of the most compassionate, caring human beings I know. For a while, Peter sat in front of me and I was moved every time when, no matter how busy he was, he always took time to answer his wife's or his daughters' calls. He was very proud of his girls' accomplishments and I valued his advice on raising a strong-willed daughter!

So when everyone else shares their "war" stories about Peter, for me, it was a baby story. My thoughts are with his family.

--Corinne Suissa