Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Jacques Lhuillery: Too Hard, and too painful

I joined AFP in 1979, the same year than Peter. And I already was impressed by him, by his kindness and the natural authority emanating from him. To me Peter was, is, probably the most possible achieved mix fo what is best in French and American culture and spirit.
I was enraging to hear him speaking French so well with nuances and all subtleties while I was tiring my eyes on Harraps english dictionary...
Peter was even more part of my then American dream one year later, when he was covering US primaries campaign. I just came back from the US where I had the chance, thanks to a friend, to be "embedded" for a week with G.H Bush staff campaign in Houston and later in Florida.
So, when I came back in Paris and AFP desk étranger, every time the shift chief editor was asking: "Peter just sent a story and a profile, any volunteer to translate?" I was immediately almost shouting "me! me!". I was just like a kid. Laughters around.
He was making me dream, confirming my ideas about the kind of journalism I was dreaming of and aiming at.
Almost 30 years later, and even if our professional roads had divided long ago, I still remember and cherish these moments.

Pour moi Peter était la quintessence aboutie de la gentillesse, de l'exigence, et du plus grand sens de ce métier. Et comme les plus grands, hélàs, il est mort en scène...

JACQUES LHUILLERY
AFP LAGOS NIGERIA