Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Christine Schwalm: Peter was generous with ideas

I knew Peter through his daughter Camille, who is my best friend. He completely embodied the "can do" attitude. I remember pulling together a huge Thanksgiving dinner with Peter and Camille, fretting about the doneness of the turkey, and Peter saying, "it'll be fine, we'll just serve them more stuffing--and wine. We have lots of wine."

When I stayed at the Paris apartment, Peter generously took me and another friend to the Rodin museum and a fantastic lunch at Le Grand Colbert. Whenever I see, "Something's Gotta Give" is playing on TV, I watch for a while and remember that day fondly.

He had a great way of sharing ideas and information. When he got excited about something, he would tell you about about it with such exuberance, trying to get you to feel that same excitement. Camille does the exact same thing. It was always clear that his family meant the world to him. He took tremendous pride in Camille and Lauren's accomplishments and truly adored Catherine. To suffer so great a loss is heartbreaking, and my thoughts are with them all.

--Christine Schwalm