Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sarah Jackson-Han: Peter was the editor I always hoped, secretly, would adopt me.

Everything I know about news, most of what I know about raising fierce and spirited daughters, and much of what I know about leaving the world a better place and never abandoning the quest to make this universe kinder--I learned it from Peter.

And he was kind and generous enough to make me feel like the most valued and talented reporter on Earth. He used to call me the Energizer Bunny, because I loved the news so much and never wanted to stop once I had a good story. He teased me for years about the day I suffered a fractured nose and concussion at a news conference and filed two stories before I fled to the ER. But really, how could anyone miss a deadline on Peter's watch?

I would have walked to the moon for him any day, and twice on Sundays. I pray I never let him down. Even now, eight years after I left AFP, I find myself thinking about three times a week, 'What would Peter do?'

Among so many other things, he taught me that after a major disaster, insurance councils are the bodies that estimate damages; that every time you report something from the legislative branch of government, you have to get a comment from the executive branch; that just because a situation is confusing, a news story doesn’t have to be; that if you’re ever stuck on a lead, go for the sentence that predicts the future, because information is that which reduces uncertainty; that changing the world in tiny steps is not only possible but essential, and you simply have to find a place to start; that the same qualities that make children challenging at a young age make them brilliant, independent, and beautiful and even more loved when they are older; that a husband should always take a call from his wife and answer it sweetly no matter what else is happening; that maturity and true kindness mean supporting and loving people the most when they deserve it the least; and that no one in the family should ever give mommy an exercise video for mother’s day unless she has explicitly requested it, and even then it should come with a note that says, ‘You don’t need this, but…’

I also never knew anyone so proud of his gifted and brilliant wife, and equally gifted and brilliant daughters.

A friend's grandmother used to say of her late husband, 'Now THAT was a husband.' Of Peter Mackler, mensch and mentor extraordinaire, we can say, 'Now THAT was a reporter, an editor, a father, a husband, and a teacher' of the first order.

The world has lost one of its brightest lights, and nothing, nothing, will ever be the same.

-- Sarah Jackson-Han
jacksonhans@rfa.org