Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Anne Penketh: Peter was a change agent

I don't think it would be an understatement to say that AFP would not be what it is today without Peter Mackler, the indefatigable moving spirit behind the expansion of the English service since the 1980s, who made a generation of us raise our game professionally.

When I left Paris for New York in the mid-1990s I saw a different side of him. I will never forget the extent to which he took care of Graham Brown, who was then dying of cancer, and whose death left another hole in our lives. So it is not just Peter the consummate professional that I will remember, but the caring person who should have taken better care of himself.

We were all in shock when Tim Russert died of a massive heart attack only a couple of weeks ago. Peter was the Tim Russert of AFP
.

Anne Penketh