Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Gersende Rambourg: The heart of a warrior

We're in a taxi, heading towards the Supreme Court. An important ruling on Guantanamo is expected. I whisper to Peter, who volunteered at the last minute to help out: I'm happy there's three of us, but the competition is going to have a dozen people.
Silence. Then Peter tells me, very calmly, like he's telling a joke: Just think of yourself as a mujahideen. You're on your own, your weapons are outdated, but these guys in the tanks might be overconfident. So you need to give it all you've got, focus all your energy and who knows, you might be able to outpace or outsmart them.
I'm reminded of the mujahideen allegory often. Not necessarily in work situations but whenever I feel ill-equipped in the face of a new challenge. I think of the confidence in his voice, the trust he's put in me and that's all the boost I need.
I will miss him terribly.

Gersende Rambourg (AFP)