Sunday, June 22, 2008

Gerry Aziakou: I feel blessed to have known this giant of a man.

I can still remember when Peter first arrived at AFP's English desk in Paris more than 28 years ago. It literally felt like a tornado had hit the building. He had arrived and things were never going to be the same. In his inimitable rapid-fire style, he talked about the need for CHANGE, for structure, for a more professional service. He had a plan to do just that and and he relentlessly, methodically set about putting it into practice. The result today is something we can all be proud of: a disciplined, motivated and respected English-language wire service.

A lot has already been said about his many accomplishments as a field correspondent, an editor, a manager or as a mentor to budding journalists.

What I will remember most about Peter, apart from his incredible vitality and wry sense of humor , is his phenomenal ability to lead, to inspire and to summon the best in people. No one was better at giving inspiring speeches whatever the occasion. He was a born leader and like many others I affectionately referred to him as "The General".

To say that he was a workaholic would be an understatement. No one has given more of his time and energy to AFP, a company that he loves so much.

Peter was very demanding but he was also a man of compassion. He cared deeply about the people around him: his family, his friends, his colleagues.

A few years ago while working in AFP's Washington office, I had a malaise and it was feared I was having a heart attack. It was Peter who drove me to the hospital. I can still remember his face as he tried to talk me into not passing out. He ran several red lights along the way and looked more concerned than I was.

Peter was simply THE BEST.

I have not hurt this much since I lost my own father.

I miss you, Bro. I salute you. RIP

-- Gerard M. Aziakou