Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Diana Rea: My friend's father

Peter was my best friend's father, but I considered him more like extended family. In a lot of ways, he reminded me of my own father. Over the years that I've known Camille, he and Catherine have been incredibly kind and generous to me, welcoming me into their homes in both France and DC. It was on one of the trips to France that he actually coined the term "Sushi Club," which Camille and I, along with our best friend Christine, still use to refer to ourselves. After a long flight from New York, the three of us had passed out, exhausted, on a bed in Peter and Catherine's home in various curled up positions, causing him to remark that we looked like pieces of sushi sitting on a plate. We laughed about the silliness of the name at the time, but four years later, it has stuck with us. Peter will always be considered an honorary member of the Sushi Club. He was awesome on that trip, playing host, chauffeur, and tour guide all week despite his busy work schedule. He took us to lunch one day at a nice restaurant near his office, and I still remember him laughing at me when I ordered a "sandwich avec trois fromages" - pointing out that I had come all the way to this nice restaurant in France to order a grilled cheese.
I also have to thank Peter for his efforts in converting Camille into a diehard Yankees fan. He explained to me once how he came to be a Yankees fan even though he grew up in Brooklyn, though I have to admit the story still leaves me scratching my head. Without his good influence, she no doubt might have become a Mets fan or worse, and then I would have no one to go to games with. I enjoyed going to games with Peter and Camille, discussing Yankees history and their current prospects with him, speculating on whether they would win their division. I will definitely miss his company and his insight.
As I write this, it's hitting me that even though Peter is gone, there are little reminders of him that endure. From silly nicknames to Camille's infatuation with baseball and the strength and love of his incredible family, it's clear that his presence is still very much tangible. Although I was only fortunate enough to know him for a few years, I know that the friendship and kindness he showed me in that time will have a lasting influence. I hope he knows how grateful I am for that.
Diana J. Rea