Wednesday, June 25, 2008

John Drury: Grateful to be Peter's friend

Peter and I were opposites.
He was a journalist, I a lawyer.
He was from Brooklyn. I was from Upstate.
He was liberal and I was the other.
He rooted for the Yankees after being a Dodger fan. I said "you're a turncoat."
He denied it.
I rooted for the New York Giants (when they existed).
His tolerance for all peoples of the world made way for me to come into his life.
I am very grateful.

He fascinated me with his stories.
He grew up down the street from Barry Manilow.
He took Carol to visit Esther Williams.
He watched Gil Hodges on the streets of Brooklyn.
He said Condi liked the Cleveland Browns.
I liked Condi even more than before.

I sat in his living room Sunday with Carol, Catherine, friends; all grieving deeply.
A young AFP colleague knocked on the front door and deliver an exquisite tall purple orchid to Catherine. Placed in the middle of her table, it captured all the sad beauty of
the room. He spoke of his loss and his respect for Peter. I said to Jay that it seemed that Peter had not died, he would bounce in soon . . . a little late, as he always did.
I thought this could not have occurred to this force of nature.

--John Drury