Wednesday, June 25, 2008

James Hammond: Never too busy for friends

I have to put in a word for my experience with Peter as I post all these other wonderful memories.

In 1999, I was in the hospital at Johns Hopkins University medical center for cancer treatment. Peter took the time to drive up to Baltimore from Washington on a work day to sit with my wife Elizabeth for several hours while I was in the operating room. He had been there the night before to take us to dinner. (We went to a lovely steak house, but I could only eat clear broth!) Later he and Catherine returned to visit us in Baltimore.

Elizabeth worked for Peter in Hong Kong, our children were regular playmates and friends, and we have known them for 25 years, keeping in touch no matter where we were on the planet. I cannot believe that I will never get another phone call from Peter to inquire about some event in our lives, or just to say hello. I will miss him.

-- James T. Hammond