Thursday, June 26, 2008

Clarens Renois: Peter made an impression in Haiti

Clarens Renois chief of AFP bureau in Port-au-Prince, Haiti I have met Peter twice. First at Port-au-Prince, Haïti, He came to give his support to AFP's new office. He found enough time to teach journalism and share his experience to young Haitians for one hour. It was so great from him. He was a generous man. But his short visit were a great opportunity for my son (Kevin) to meet him. He will never forget.The second time that I met Peter was in Washington he invited me to meet other colleagues. I have kept good souvenirs of this man, and I saw him as a model in journalism and I wished to follow his path. Here is a short word written by my son (Kevin) for Peter:

Loss of a great man
Peter and I became friends, when my father introduced him to me as his colleague at AFP.
With Peter, I had my first adult conversation at 12.
And I saw that he was different from most people.
He had interesting stories to tell.
I listened to them carefully.
Peter was a great man and I am very sorry for the loss of such a man's life.
He had experienced much and I am certain he's now in a better place.
My condolences to his wife and his daughters.
Peter will be greatly missed. (Kevin Renois)

-- Clarens Renois chief of AFP bureau, Port-au-Prince, Haiti