Thursday, June 26, 2008

Martin Bennitt: Wish I'd known him better

Before writing this I dug out from my archives a note, dated October 23, 1987, signed by Peter and thanking me for my efforts during a particularly tough couple of weeks. It was gratifying at the time, and pleasant to re-read – then I noticed he had also copied it to two people higher up the scale.

More than just a friendly note, but a small rung in the ladder of my career at AFP, and typical of Peter's relations with his colleagues.

I wish I had seen more of him, but paradoxically it was probably because of Peter that I didn't, as with his support I moved from Paris to other postings. But our paths frequently crossed, as Peter always seemed to be everywhere at once, not least during the Iraq war when I was in Nicosia and Peter was up at the sharp end. No one who was in the region at the time will forget it.

Two personal memories: we had not long been in our new home and were holding an open house. Few people felt like trekking out to the sticks from Paris, so the gathering was mainly local friends and neighbours. Then the door bell rang – Peter of course, bearing a suitable gift. Knowing no one else present did not faze him a bit: 'Hi, I'm Peter Mackler' – a bit startling to some of the stuffier French and Brits, but Peter had the facility of warming up the coldest company, wakening up the weariest editor, inspiring the most cynical hack.

The second memory was when he happened to be in Nicosia on a public holiday. We went out to look for a drink on a hot afternoon, but everywhere was closed. I was a bit embarrassed, but we just walked, and talked, and walked, and talked, and for me it was more refreshing than any drink we might have had.

Peter is irreplaceable, but he will live on in all our memories, while for his colleagues there will be only one question when things get tough: what would Peter have done?

-- Martin Bennitt