Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Nathaniel Harrison: Journalists of a certain age

My special memory of Peter has nothing directly to do with his extraordinary gifts as a journalist, leader and teacher, all of which have been justifiably acclaimed.

My story is set in the late 1990s in the Washington AFP bureau where at one point the resident journalists (as opposed to those of us posted from Paris headquarters) were threatening to strike over pay and other issues. It was informally assumed that if the local journalists downed tools those of us from Paris would step in and try to carry on. As a dues-paying member of the CGT I had no intention of breaking a strike.

But I nonetheless trembled a bit when Peter, who was management, stopped by my desk one day and asked me into his office. I feared the worst, sensing I would be asked about my strike plans. Would I have the guts, I wondered, to jeopardize my livelihood to support the strike? I needn't have worried.

"Nat," he said, "you're an American citizen and you have rights here. I just want you to know that you should do whatever your conscience dictates."

I could have kissed the guy. I left his office light of step, and a little ashamed for having thought Peter's position would be any different from what it was.

He and I are roughly of the same vintage. We came of age on the political left in the late 1960s in America, when "to be young was very heaven."

Some of the younger readers of this blog might not get the references here.

But Peter knew, and still knows, what I'm talking about.

-- Nathaniel Harrison
AFP, Paris