Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Jay Root: My mentor, the newsroom tornado

Everything I ever learned about fast-paced, wire-service journalism flowed from the newsroom tornado known as Peter Mackler. I can see him now, standing over my shoulder, dictating an entire story from lede to final graph, quotes included. He was a mentor and a friend. He was an anchor in ever turbulent sea of 21st century journalism. I’ve never known anybody more cut out for a career in daily journalism than Peter Mackler. Nobody did it better.

When I left AFP Washington in 1996 to become Austin bureau chief of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Peter could see the gleam in my eyes when I mouthed the words of my new job title.

“Bureau chief,’’ I said, as if the magic would be obvious to him or anyone else.

Peter cracked that infectious smile.

“You’ll enjoy the bureau chief title for about three days,’’ he said. “Then you’ll realize it means you’re the one who has to reload the fax machine when it runs out of paper.’’

That, and everything else he ever predicted, came true in short order.

He was always a great inspiration to me and I will miss him dearly. I hope that one day I can muster up half the talent Peter had.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

-- Jay Root
Austin Bureau Chief, Fort Worth Star-Telegram