Monday, July 14, 2008

James Brown: Deepest sympathies

I wanted to pass on our deepest sympathies to everyone at AFP – I was greatly saddened to hear of Peter’s death.

I remember meeting Peter for the first time in 2006 when we first thinking of launching ForesightNews in the States.

To be honest I wondered what his reaction would be to some upstart Englishman who dared to even think of starting up a news-events service for journalists – and, if I am honest, it was with great trepidation that I waited to meet him !

Like every time I subsequently met him, he never seemed to be doing less than 20 things at once, whether editing, monitoring the wires, questioning passing colleagues and having at least 2 telephone lines perpetually “blinking” at him.

In the midst of this stream of all equally urgent business, he was incredibly generous with his time and showed such great faith in what we wanted to achieve.

It was only over the next couple of years that I found out by chance that he had from time-to-time passed our name to other agencies in DC suggesting they contact us – typically he never told me he had done this for us, but as someone let slip a couple of months ago, he had said wanted to support us in anyway he could.

Peter continually demanded we “raise the bar”, always said we could do better and better and his wise words and advice were always hugely appreciated.

Peter was a “giant” and I wanted to convey in a small way our huge debt to him for all his support and the great kindness he showed to us.

-- JAMES BROWN
Key Accounts Director
ForesightNews